I am the
youngest of four and my siblings are over 10 years older than I. Their early
childhood was different than my own. When they were little my mom was a stay at
home mom and prepared all meals. My mom is pretty simple so I’m assuming these
meals were the average meals found on many American tables in the late 60’s/early
70’s – a piece of meat, a piece of bread and a veggie.
When I
was about 3 years old my parents separated changing our family landscape forever.
My mom went to work ushering in the quick meal. As I grew older and my siblings
went out into the world, the inconsistent nutrition remained. When I was a
teenager it was not uncommon to have not had breakfast and to have no money for
lunch or no self made lunch. For dinner it was fast food or a box of macaroni
and cheese. I didn’t realize I was hungry. Being about 90 pounds my senior year
was chalked up to genetics (my mom married in her early 20’s in a size 0).
In my
senior year I met a boy and his mom believed in dinner at the table every
night. I will never forget my first dinner time visit when his little sister
presented me with two pieces of uncooked meat asking which I would prefer. I
had no idea what to pick because they were unfamiliar to me. I should mention
that on the rare occasions when my mom cooked it equated to boiling noodles or
browning some meat which would be paired w a premixed box of seasoning. Back to
the boyfriend’s family. Their meals consisted of equal size protein and carb
with no veggies.
Usher in
marriage (not the high school boyfriend J) where my husband was also fed regular meals but this
time of fat laden Mexican cuisine (think lard, lard, lard!!!). Hubs and I were
able to get by nutritionally by a hybrid of what we learned growing up – fast food,
box food, restaurant (when we wanted Mexican), etc. No veggies. Not much fruit.
So time
to hit the books & blogs, reach out to smart people, circle outside aisles
of the grocery store to get this figured out (well talk about all my diets
later).
Enter in
lesson number one:

No comments:
Post a Comment