Sunday, June 9, 2013

Gym rat

Years and years of not knowing how to eat nutritiously made it really easy to pack on extra weight. I would yo-yo diet for years and take some extreme measures. Once I tried to cut out meals since it worked when I was teenager, I figured why not give it another try. Truth is skipping meals made me miserable and very sluggish. When I would eat a meal I would overeat. The result: not much weight off & still miserable.

During one stint of realizing this method was ineffective I knew I had to figure out a better and more effective way. I joined a gym, bought & grilled chicken, microwaved brown rice & veggies. I lost weight! I was stoked with the results. I loved the stair-stepper and the circuit machines. It was awesome!!! I ate chicken, stepped, ate veggies, stepped, ate brown rice, stepped, stepped, stepped… rinse and repeat. What the heck happened? BOREDOM!!! Sadly I didn't realize I was bored and didn't adjust properly therefore I was done w that gym and meal plan stint.

From there I tried all sorts of things and would lose some incremental weight but nothing that would get me into a smaller size of jeans. I still felt fat and, most of all, lost.

Finally I called a trainer. I remember the first time I met her – she was about 4 feet tall and about 95 pounds of lean muscle and a warm smile. She kicked my butt 4 days a week. The lashing would be based on the beginning review of my fitness tracker where I tracked my meals, snacks, cardio, and strength training. The inches fell off. I was so happy. I was the smallest I had ever been (went from a size 12 to a 4) and loved the way I was challenging myself. I was confident in the gym because I really knew what I was doing. What the heck happened you may ask? BURN OUT!!! I was getting up at 4am to hit the gym before work. I worked out from 4am – 6:30am 5 times a week. I could have pulled back or changed course to not stop all together but then the Hubs and I realized we wanted to have a family.


If only it were that easy to wish a family come true…


No comments:

Post a Comment