Monday, June 10, 2013

Grocery delivery is the best thing ever!

Hubs and I work full time in the healthcare industry. Our industry has so much going on with implementing ObamaCare so needless to say our work lives are hectic.

Hubs and I have our precious twins that are just over 2 ½ years old and have some serious demands: snacks, blues clues, and generally learning about themselves and the world around them. And we almost have them potty trained but there are still so many times where we’re rushing them to the bathroom for potty when they are too busy playing to stop for a potty break.

Hubs and I also have a neurotic hound mutt that LOVES to be outside exploring our 2 ½ acre property. Needless to say we are always in search of him ensuring he’s safe and staying out of trouble.

So you can guess in this household, like so many across America, there is always something pressing to do – laundry (holy smokes, I had no idea the volume of laundry our little critters would go through), mowing the property, laundry, laundry, that I sometimes feel lucky on those nights I’m able to put a warm meal on the table. If I’m going to do this, you know THIS weight loss thing, I have to figure out how to work more smartly in the kitchen.

Grocery shopping is a chore for us. When we go as a family it takes much longer. We can only go to one local grocery store that has the dual seats in the grocery cart. This place is also a store where you pack your own groceries. While there is nothing wrong with that and I generally like those stores, when you’re packing twins it’s sometimes challenging not to break the eggs or squish the bread. When we go individually we’re usually just off of work and exhausted. We always take a list, by the way I have no idea how one can grocery shop without a list, and try to get through the story as quickly as possible. Invariably we always either forget something or have forgotten to write something down on our list. That is so frustrating.

A week ago Hubs and I discussed all of these challenges and we decided to start meal planning. I was so proud. I’ve read most that are successful at losing weight and staying on track nutritionally use a meal plan. We were on our way!!! Then, what happened??? LIFE. I don’t know in what order LIFE happened but here we were a week later with very few groceries on our list. We survived on what we knew – boxed foods, frozen foods, and yummy fast food – with a quick throw of spaghetti here and there.



Sunday, as the twins were taking their mid-day nap, it dawned on me that we weren’t going to make it to the grocery store again. I knew I had to do something so I looked up delivery services. Safeway’s delivery service had a coupon for free delivery and promotions for free rolls of paper towels, and a free case of water. It was a no-brainer, I had to give it a shot.

I’m happy to report that today we received our first order of groceries and it was wonderful! My son loved watching the big white truck back in and out of our driveway and my daughter loved asking the delivery driver for “a grilled cheese”. As a family we unpacked the groceries with the twins placing their healthful snacks in their little bin I keep stocked in our pantry. When making dinner I explained to my daughter, Mia, how to cook veggies and chicken. It was a completely stress free night and so relaxing to spend the right kind of time with my family.


Will I do it again? Heck yes. The small delivery fee will be so worth it. I can now allocate that time we spend shopping in a couple of other ways – cutting up veggies, making good food, preparing lunches, or tickling our little sweeties. Life is good. J

No comments:

Post a Comment