Monday, March 31, 2014

This weeks cooked veggies!

This week's roasted veggies have become a staple in our household. A mix of roasted peppers and onions are so versatile and I use them to bulk up any meal. So for example, we'll add them to our spaghetti sauce (Classico sauce is low in sugar) and for sausage (check the ingredients for no added sugar and minimally processed, for example Al Fresco) and peppers. These are wonderful warmed up with two eggs on top and mixed in with scrambled eggs. 




Here's how I made this week's veggie base: 

6 onions, roughly chopped. I like the sweetness of red onion.
6 peppers roughly chopped to a similar size as the onions. 

1. Prepare two baking sheets. Since I do not like to use too much olive oil, I use parchment paper. You could use PAM spray but I mainly use my misto filled with olive oil. 




2. Place all veggies on two baking sheets. 3. Spray the veggies with olive oil. Sprinkle on Bragg's Herb and Spice seasoning or dried oregano, rosemary, garlic powder, etc. I also sprinkle pepper and a bit of cayenne for some spice. Toss the veggies using your fingers by separating around the sheet. Make sure no veggie lumps are present - they should be in a single layer on the sheets.




4. I cook on 350 for 20 minutes but on this low of heat realistically the veggies will be in the oven for 30 minutes or so. You could bump the heat and check them after 15 minutes. I always know when they're ready because the onions are translucent and the peppers are soft. 



For those of you on the 21 day fix, one serving is 1 green and 1 tsp. :) 

Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment