Monday, April 7, 2014

A lacy, pearly birdcage

One of our favorite things to do on Saturday mornings is to get up early, pile the twins into the truck and go to garage sales. We've been so successful in finding little odds and ends that we can just put on our shelves or walls or items that we know with a little elbow grease will create something so unique. This birdcage is an example.

Since we live in the hills of Northern California it is sometimes a challenge knowing how far those fluorescent yard sale signs will take us into a hillside. After about 10 minutes of driving and following the signs, we found this cool house with a bunch of stuff for sale. My son wanted their 1970's Chevy Nova and offered the owner $1 (the allowance we gave him). I should remind you that my son is 3 years old so it was actually super adorable. When we were leaving my eyes caught on a greenish brown birdcage. I loved the scroll in the iron and I had recently seen a picture in Better Homes and Garden of a birdcage used in a little girl's room. So I knew I had to pick it up for $5.

My husband picked up the spray paint in pink and before I could grab a picture of it, he had painted it further winning the heart of my sweet daughter. This was about five weeks ago. Since then it has sat on my dining room table like a shy kid wanting to play. I knew I had to do something with her. 


Lace, pearls, birds and love make any creation that much more beautiful. 

What you'll need: 
1. Lace. I found this from the craft store (Michael's) in the ribbon section. 
2. Pearly beads. I also found this from the craft store in the ribbon section. 
3. Birds. I found these little ceramic birds in the flower section of the craft store. 
4. E6000 adhesive. I'm sure you could use a glue gun too.
5. Clothespins. 





How I did it: 
1. I started with the attaching the lace using the adhesive. Once the adhesive was applied, I secured with clothespins to ensure a good bond. Work in 4 or 5 inch sections.
2. The birds tripped me up because they're hollow on the bottom and since this will hang in my daughter's room, I did want the hollow bottoms to show. After playing around with placement I settled on these two spots and glued them in place.
3. I then attached the pearls using the same method as the lace. 

Total time for the project: 30 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment