Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Giada's Feel-Good Recipes: Egg and Kale Breakfast Wraps

Earlier in the week, I blogged about Giada's Feel-Good Recipe for Roasted Vegetables. Today, I'll round out that episode by telling you about the Kale mixture found in her Egg and Kale Breakfast Wrap Recipe. 

I'm always in search of a big batch of veggies that I can pre-cook for the week. Since introducing "vegetable bases" into my life, my weeks have gone much smoother. With the 21 Day Fix and the new amount of veggies I've introduced into diet with that program, having veggie bases really help me stay on track. I simply throw a couple of eggs on top or some grilled chicken and I have a healthy and substantial meal. You just can't go wrong. 

While the recipe is specific to the egg wrap, I actually am using parts of this recipe to serve as a base. I started with doubling the recipe when I found that the kale bunch I had bought had about 12 leaves and then went from there. 

3 cups of tomatoes. My grocery store didn't have cherry tomatoes so I just chopped up some roma tomatoes. 
grabbed from fresh thyme and pulled it off the stems then giving a quick chop. 
Garlic. I love garlic. It completes me so I actually used about 2 tsp from the jarred garlic. Or you can use a couple of cloves of garlic and chop it up. 
1 onion chopped up. Please note the recipe calls for shallot but I had onions laying around so why not. 
Pepper flakes, totally optional. My BFF loves her pepper flakes and I'm loving them now. 

Place all of this goodness in a pan on medium heat with some 3 tsp of oil. 

Once the onions were translucent, I added in the kale. Follow below: 
12 leaves of kale, cutting out the stem. Don't forget to wash your kale, pat dry and give a rough chop.
Salt, go gently my friends. While it's yummy, it can bloat you and make you feel icky.

Once the kale started to wilt, I added 1/2 cup of fresh basil then turned off the heat. 

21 day fix approved! 

The doubled recipe netted in 4 greens. 
One serving equals 1 green and 1/2 tsp. 

My favorite use of this recipe is to pair up with 2 eggs.

This recipe holds up in the fridge for a few day thus this recipe is a total score!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment