Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Developing your menu plan.

As the saying goes, 70% of your Abs are made in the kitchen. I’ve seen this everywhere!! Look up Pinterest and search for clean eating, fitness motivation, or similar search terms and you’ll definitely find this (or similar) quote a few times. And this is a good time to let you know that I’ve done both Beachbody programs and other cardio/weight programs a few times before. You name it, I’ve done it and yet here I am… still struggling! So I had to switch my tactic. When my Beachbody coach explained her story of not getting her expected results was because of I diet, I knew KNEW KNEW that would be ME. Beachbody programs are difficult. They make you cranky and tired the first week. By the second week you’re elated because your strength really does start to kick in but you’re still putting in a lot of physical work. I didn’t want to TANK or run out of gas so I could get through this commitment I made to myself, to finish what I start. I knew I had to get straight with my foods. When my coach made clean eating a condition, I knew I was going to change my life. I knew I was going to put in the effort to do this right this time.

Ok, so in the Beachbody Challenge group, my Beachbody coach helped us through the steps. As I think of the steps to give to you, I honestly cannot think of them because it was so gradual (another BONUS!). So here’s what I do every week to prepare the following week’s menu.

Step One: Get a good, blank menu template. Save the template for future use. Save it by including the date of the Monday you’ll be starting the menu.
Step Two: Add in your workouts. Commit to a time that you’re targeting to get your workout done and write type it into the exercise row.
Step Three: Understand that your body will need 2-3L (64oz – 96oz) daily to keep up with your exercises and to flush out all those icky toxins out. Commit to a time that you’re targeting to drink each Liter of water. Side note: buy a nalgene bottle with the ounce indicator on it. Spend the extra cash and get something cute  since it’s going to become your best friend. J
Step Four: Enter in your Shakeology meal. Believe me, if you’re on the fence about Shakeology you should at least try using it for a month. I tell you, it’s the best pick me up of the day and my fiber loaded friend that keeps me, well, regular. For this challenge group, I’m replacing one meal with Shakeology.
Step Five: Pick your proteins!! Add them to the menu.
Step Six: Pick your veggies!! Add them to the menu.
Step Seven: Pick your grains!! I only eat 2 servings a day and I try to eat them early in the day.
Step Eight: Pick your snacks!! This, to me, is the best part about menu planning. I slot in my favorites on the menu. Stay away from fruits at night because of their sugar content.
Step Nine: Get straight with portions. Know what a portion of protein, veggies, and carbs should look like. Get educated now! This will make or break you. You can cut out all the fats and icky carbs out of your life and maybe lose a little but if you stick to the right sized stuff, your body will transform!! 

That’s all there is to it!! Stay tuned for my favorite food resources to help you along. 


No comments:

Post a Comment