Monday, April 7, 2014

Roasted Veggies: Butternut Squash, Onion, Sweet Potato, Peppers and Red Potato (optional black beans)

I ran across this recipe on All Recipes Website when searching for this week's roasted vegetable mixture. What I love about it is that it included carbs and I've found myself recently not able to get many carbs into my diet. What I didn't love about is that I felt like the ratio of veggies to carbs were equal and I aim to eat more veggies than carbs. I adjusted this recipe to boost the veggies while having a reasonable amount of carbs. 

For those doing the 21 Day Fix, I calculate this as 1 green (veggie), 1 yellow (carb), 1 tsp olive oil. If you need a small boost of protein you can add a can of drained low-sodium black beans for 1/4 red (protein). 

Roasted butternut squash, sweet potato, red potatoes, peppers, and onions

Here's what I did: 
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 inch cubes.
4 bell peppers. I used 2 yellow, 1 red, and 1 orange, seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes.
1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes. Note: If your sweet potato is dry, soak the cubed sweet potato in water for 5 minutes. The added moisture will ensure they cook evenly.
4 small red potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes. 
2 red onions, quartered and cut into quarters. 

Once in a big bowl,  toss the veggies to get them mixed up. 

Prepare your roasting pan, cookie sheet, etc. by covering with foil and spraying with olive oil (I use a misto). Spread the veggies out on the sheets.

In a separate bowl mix: 
- 3 tablespoons of Bragg's dried seasonings (or you can do 1 tbs of fresh thyme, 2 tbs of fresh rosemary OR you can use 3 tbs of Mrs. Dash No-Salt seasoning). I could have bought fresh but I love the Bragg's so much and I like using dried herbs when roasting. 
- 1/4 cup olive oil (if you're trying to reduce your oil intake, you can use a misto and spray the veggies on the cookie sheet and skip this ingredient).
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar 

Pour over the veggies. Roast on 475 degrees for 35 minutes stirring them every 10-15 minutes. 

Note: I also added black beans in at the last 10 minutes. I love the added meaty flavor of black beans with butternut squash. 

All prepped and ready to go in the oven! 

When done and cooled off, I placed in a large airtight container and put into the fridge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment